Stumptown Coffee Roasters believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. Creating a sustainable workplace is at the core of who we are. We’ve worked hard to create a great place to work and are proud of the results. We’re not perfect, but being open to ideas and continually improving things has always been a fundamental part of how we work. We’re the kind of workplace where each of us works hard, has fun and contributes a lot.
This full-time, paid position will involve working closely with the Roasting, Green Coffee, Customer Service and Production staff on a daily basis, in support of Wholesale and Retail roasting needs.
- Help fulfill daily coffee orders / “scooping batches”
- Perform routine roaster cleaning and maintenance
- Assist with green coffee:
- Inventory and floor counts
- Receiving, organizing and moving product
- Weighing and portioning for recipe
- Server as a general go-between among roasting, customer service and other departments
- General roastery organization; cleaning, stocking and other misc. tasks
- Learn and develop a deep understanding of the techniques and approaches that define our roast philosophy.
- Learn and develop a deep understanding of our coffees
- Development across multiple varieties
- Roast profiles for every coffee and blend
- Time, temperature and caramelization for all coffees
- Attend daily cuppings and espresso evaluations for quality control
- Engage in all green and roasted coffee education and new training curriculum
- Relative tasting of coffee over various brewing methods
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for coffee
- Demonstrated understanding of Stumptown’s position as a roaster-oriented company
- Extreme concentration and focus
- Desire to learn from mistakes without ego involvement
- Ability to listen, learn and act accordingly
- Ability to manage and prioritize daily and weekly tasks
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent hospitality and customer service
- Basic technical aptitude and /or willingness to learn equipment details
- Familiarity with MS Office, Google Apps and other organizational tools
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 75 pounds. Weight greater than 50 pounds will be mitigated with a lifting partner or device.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level is high. Ear protection is provided
- Roasting machines and the environment in which roasting happens can get warm. Proper dress should be considered.
- The position will be five days per week and while each work will comprise of two consecutive days off, required workdays may fall on a weekend.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email, please include the name of the position and the location to which you are applying.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected by local, state or federal law.